Over the years, the entire world has started shifting to online shopping; it has changed the market in plenty of ways. How businesses market their...
With very little build up or fanfare, Google tossed out the old paid search layout and imported a new one last month. And all the other changes over the past six months have drastically changed what you see when you do a simple search for “basketball shoes”. Now, there’s a rich snippet, two more inorganic “above the search” ads, almost twice as many image ads, and no more sidebar ads.
Among all these changes, is Google’s decision to move the sidebar ads to above the search results.
Here’s the details:
- Up to 4 text ads will be placed above organic search queries especially for the more commercial keywords.
- Three more text ads will be below the organic search results at each page.
- No more than 7 ads will show on each page of results.
- Knowledge panels, rich snippets, and product listing ad blocks haven’t been changed.
- This changed has been set worldwide.
- Sidebar text ads aren’t coming back at least for now.
The results of these changes are as follows.
- Those who stick to AdWords with a strong bid structure. With fewer ad placements available, costs could potentially go up for those who refuse to back down on some keywords, thus inciting a bidding war.
- Those who are able to consistently capture 4th position ads. They are seeing 4-10x higher CTR than those in higher positions.
- Ecommerce brands will likely be putting out more shopping ads due to the new lack of ad space on the page.
- Small agency ad partners. With less ad placement options, seeing success with AdWords will now be more difficult for those with many different companies in the same location as less eyes will be put on their ads.
- Less experienced advertisers in highly competitive verticals. Fewer spots mean those who just put in minimal money and minimal effort to get high quality scores will be pushed down across the board.
- Low profit margin industries. Less ads and higher bid costs mean those who stick to the old system of advertising for low margin companies will eventually have to pull out of AdWords or find another system of generating traffic.
- Advertisers using just brand based ads
- Niche/low competition advertisements
- All display ads or video ads
- Mobile advertisers are unaffected if not more profitable now.
Overall, the AdWords community has spoken. Written about in a Lunametrics blog, we see that.
“A positive side effect is increased overall audience reach. With more ads at the top of the page, you should expect to have a high level of interaction with your targeted audience. The only potential negative effect is the one you have already mentioned – expected cost increases.”
More competition = more cost per click. However, those that invest a lot of time figuring out the new system and getting it perfect could see better conversion results.
We've optimized 5000+ websites and managed a combined Ads Budget of over 50M
Get in touch to know how we can help your business grow. Get a Free Website Audit in the process
"We are grateful for the guidance we received from Digital Success Agency with our SEO efforts. Not only did they help increase traffic to our site, they also made suggestions for improvements so that we could enhance our content. Team was always helpful and quick with any requests or questions we had. We were very happy with this partnership."
"Digital Success Agency team does great work and provides great customer service. Their prices are very reasonable as well. I like the fact that I have a person dedicated to my account that I can turn with all my questions/issues."
"Things are looking good. The influence of the top ten looks great and it appears we were even in terms of overall traffic from November to December aside from lower PPC numbers which is what we are attempting to do. Nice work. I am excited to see how things shake out when our busy season starts to really take off. Thanks again to you and the team."
"It was a pleasure working with Digital Success Agency team. I wanted to make sure I thanked you for all your hard work, and such speedy communication and clear updates. Again it was great to have you as part of our team."
"We appreciate the help you all have provided with our website and SEO efforts. And though you and I had just started working together, I personally have been very impressed with your thoroughness and quick communication."
"The Digital Success Agency team is knowledgeable and hard working; just what we need from a strategic partner as we look to grow our business. I would recommend them for your SEO and PPC needs without hesitation. Four years ago we made that decision and it's paid off nicely!"
"Having Digital Success Agency as our SEO partner has allowed our agency to concentrate on what we do best. Developing full creative campaigns are what we excel at as a group. Incorporating Digital Success Agency SEO plans and developing web tools to support the creative that we develop provides support for all our client initiatives. As an agency I would recommend engaging Digital Success Agency in web projects of all levels."
"Having worked with Digital Success Agency since 2006, it has always been a great experience working with all the folks over there. They are extremely qualified, and have always demonstrated an incredible level of enthusiasm and professionalism when working with me. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to expand in-house capabilities, or is looking to bring on outside resources."
"You have been by far the best outside resources I've worked with for SEO and it's reflected in the clients you managed - all grew their traffic, keyword rankings, and leads under you. You've been a big help for me over the last few years and I really appreciate it. "
Google has been quite active in August – announcing one of their biggest updates in over a decade – The ‘Helpful Content Update’, along with...
We live in a day and age where traditional marketing methods don’t work as effectively, even for localized businesses like construction companies. Convenience is driving...
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It is a strategy that helps you rank your website or the content higher on search engines. If you...
Are You Aware of these 10 (un)Popular SEO and Digital Marketing Scams & Steps to Safeguard Yourself?
Let’s go by the statistics first! Almost 70% of businesses are offered search engine optimization services, if not more, once every week. Yes, that’s how...