Google updates its search guidelines often to improve quality and make the search experience more rewarding. With an aim to keep SERP superior and trustworthy,...
The Best Online Guide on Leveraging Internal Linking for Maximum SEO Returns
When it comes to promoting a business online, companies primarily focus on getting better rankings on Google search result pages. While different factors impact website rankings, internal linking is perhaps the most critical. Internal links establish connectivity between the website content besides making Google aware of its structure. Experts from a leading SEO company stress using the right internal linking strategies to boost a website’s ranking and visibility.
More About Internal Linking
Internal links are hyperlinks connecting pages within the same domain. Google uses these links to find, index, and analyze the different pages of websites. Search engines find it easy to crawl a page if it has been internally linked to from other pages. The links help both users and search engines to find relevant content across a website.
Using internal links strategically ensures that all webpages in a single domain are crawled frequently by Googlebot. The most important benefit of using internal links is that they help enhance the page rankings across Google search results. It improves website visibility besides diverting greater traffic volume to the specific webpage.
Types Of Internal Links
There are four types of internal links used by almost every leading inbound marketing agency. These include the following.
Contextual Links: These links are placed in the main content to direct the users to other contextually relevant web pages within the same domain. The links make it easier for users to find the relevant content besides simplifying the indexing of the web pages.
Navigation Links: As the name suggests, navigation links help to establish the navigation roadmap for people using a website. They define the structure of a website by connecting the various nodes of the information hierarchy within the website.
Text Links: Text links are also known as anchor text links as they use words or phrases placed within the content to connect to other pages. The anchor text is generally blue-colored and underlined to distinguish it from other content.
Image Links: Image linking is a relatively new concept but is becoming quite popular. It involves placing a link within the content which points to and opens an image on a new page. It helps to reduce the loading speed of the website and this, in turn, impacts its indexing.
Outrank your Competition on Google in 90 Days!
Contact us to get a free SEO/PPC audit and discuss how you can outrank your competition within the first 3 months.
Understanding The Impact Of Internal Links On SEO
Internal links play an important role in ensuring better site optimization and making it user-friendly. The links reflect the power of the website, convey the meaning of its content, and channel its authority to engines.
Using internal links in the right manner helps both Google and the site users to find the appropriate content more quickly. The links also enable search engines to analyze the depth of a website. They also direct the search engines to the most important pages of the domain to maximize the visitor experience and site usability.
The below-discussed benefits of internal linking help better understand their importance for SEO.
- Improves User Experience: Internal links make navigating a website easier for users. Linking the most appropriate anchor texts to relevant and related content increases user interest. This improves the overall user experience of the site visitors and inspires them to spend more time exploring its pages.
- Increases Site Visibility: Users find the content relevant and related to their search faster with the help of internal links. This improves overall visitor satisfaction and increases the site conversion rate. In addition, as the number of people visiting the website increases, it naturally increases the site visibility
- Improve Page Rank: Internal links help improve the page rank by enhancing the link value. Google measures the importance of a webpage as per the number of backlinks it receives. Hence, web pages with plenty of relevant internal links are considered more important. As a result, these pages are ranked higher in Google search results when compared to pages with lesser or irrelevant links.
- Improve Website Crawling And Indexing: Internal links make it easier for Google bots to find and analyze new content on a website. In addition, strategically placed internal links make it easier for search engines to find pages buried deep in the website. This improves the crawling and indexing of web pages and boosts their ranking and visibility.
Tips For Creating Internal Links For SEO
Understanding the importance of internal links is the key to creating them effectively for SEO. Some tips suggested by the experts from the leading SEO companies to fulfill this objective are as follows.
- Placing relevant links on the primary content page helps boost user engagement significantly. In addition, such links receive higher weightage from Google and help to transfer greater authority to the web pages.
- Creating a large amount of high-quality content provides countless opportunities for creating relevant internal links throughout the website. It also eliminates the need to create layered content for setting up a good internal linking structure.
- It is better to use anchor texts than images for creating internal links. The anchor text used for linking should be in the form of natural and unoptimized sentence fragments. This makes the links look less spammy and retains visitor interest in them.
- The experts from a leading inbound marketing agency also stress the need to create links that connect deep into the website. Creating links to web pages placed way down in the information hierarchy is better than linking to pages that already have multiple links pointing to them.
- It is important to keep the links contextual and relevant. Inability to do so hampers user experience and negatively impacts the overall site ranking. This is especially important as Google offers a higher ranking to the websites that ensure maximum user satisfaction.
Choosing The Right Number Of Internal Links
Having too many or too few links can cause more harm than good. While there is no set limit to the number of links that can be used, it is advisable to keep them within the range of 2-5 links per page. In addition, the links should be scattered evenly throughout the content.
Using effective internal linking practices can improve the website structure, visibility, and ranking besides making it user-friendly.
SaaS companies are the ones that offer software for other businesses or directly to the customers as a service. These are the set of tools...
Marketing had never been a one-dimensional templated approach. Every socio-economic group, gender class, age tier, generation, etc., with its subtle differences yet hard similarities, needs...
Introduction According to recent statistics, over 5.03 billion people use the internet worldwide, and more than 4.7 billion are constantly active on social media. This...
Answered – How to Fix “Discovered – currently not indexed”? Google Search Console’s Most Searched Question of 2022
The phrase “Discovered – Currently Not Indexed” describes content discovered by a search engine but has not yet been crawled, indexed, and added to the...