Google Business Profile is a free online listing that provides businesses with an official presence on Google. It allows businesses to manage and display important information about their company, products, services, and location. By maintaining an accurate and comprehensive profile, businesses can effectively communicate their brand, attract potential customers, and build trust and credibility with their target audience.
To ensure the safety and longevity of your Google Business Page, it is crucial to consistently adhere to Google’s guidelines when creating the page, as well as when adding updates or posts. Google provides specific guidelines and policies that outline the acceptable practices and behavior for businesses using their platform. By closely following these guidelines, you can minimize the risk of your business page being suspended or penalized by Google.
What is a Google Business Profile Suspension?
A Google business profile suspension refers to the action taken by Google to temporarily or permanently remove a business listing from its Google Business platform. Essentially, it appears that your company no longer exists. A notification will show in your Google business profile dashboard saying that your profile has been suspended. Suspensions can be appealed, but the process may require additional steps to ensure compliance with Google’s standards.
Top Reasons Behind Suspensions of Google Business Profile
A suspension can occur for various reasons, typically due to a violation of Google’s guidelines and policies. Some common reasons for a Google Business profile suspension include:
1. Violation of quality guidelines: Google has specific guidelines that businesses must adhere to when creating and managing their listings. Violating these guidelines, such as using misleading or false information, can result in suspension.
2. Multiple listings for the same business: Google allows only one listing per physical location, so having multiple listings for the same business can lead to a suspension.
3. Spammy or fraudulent behavior: Engaging in spammy or fraudulent practices, such as posting fake reviews, keyword stuffing in business names, or creating fake locations, can result in a suspension.
4. Inaccurate or inconsistent information: Providing incorrect or inconsistent business information, such as wrong phone numbers, addresses, or opening hours, can lead to a suspension.
5. Non-compliance with review policies: Manipulating or incentivizing reviews, posting fake reviews, or violating Google’s review policies can result in a suspension.
When a business is suspended, the profile is usually removed from search results, Google Maps, and other related services. The duration of the suspension depends on the severity of the violation and the actions taken by the business to address the issues. In some cases, businesses may be able to appeal the suspension and have their listing reinstated after resolving the violations.
Types of Google Business Profile Suspensions
There are several types of Google Business profile suspensions. Some of them are:
1. Soft Suspension– This type of suspension is temporary and can be lifted by fixing the issue that caused the suspension.
2. Hard Suspension– This type of suspension is permanent and can’t be lifted. It usually happens when a business violates Google’s guidelines repeatedly.
3. Pending Verification Suspension– This type of suspension happens when a business owner tries to verify their business listing but fails to do so within a certain period of time.
4. Duplicate Listing Suspension– This type of suspension happens when a business has multiple listings for the same location.
5. Quality Suspension– This type of suspension happens when a business violates Google’s quality guidelines.
How to prevent a Google Business Profile Suspension?
Here are the top 5 expert tips to avoid getting your Google Business Profile account suspended:
1. Follow Google’s Guidelines
Familiarizing yourself with Google’s guidelines is crucial to ensure you understand their expectations for your Google Business Profile. It includes providing accurate and up-to-date information, adhering to their policies and terms of service, and following their guidelines for content, reviews, and promotions. By closely following these guidelines, you minimize the risk of violating their rules and facing suspension.
2. Provide Accurate and Consistent Information
Accuracy and consistency are key when it comes to your business information. Ensure that your business name, address, phone number, website, and category are all correct and consistent across various platforms. Inaccurate or inconsistent information can not only confuse customers but also raise suspicions with Google, potentially leading to a suspension.
3. Monitor and Respond to Reviews
Monitoring and actively engaging with customer reviews demonstrates your commitment to excellent customer service. Regularly check your Google Business Profile for new reviews and respond promptly, whether they are positive or negative. Address any concerns or issues raised in a professional and respectful manner. By doing so, you show that you value customer feedback and are dedicated to resolving any problems.
4. Avoid Prohibited Content and Practices
Google strictly prohibits spammy, fraudulent, and deceptive practices. Ensure that you avoid keyword stuffing, which involves overloading your profile with irrelevant keywords. Additionally, refrain from posting inappropriate or prohibited content and refrain from manipulating reviews. Stick to ethical and legitimate practices, as Google actively monitors such violations and may suspend accounts that engage in these practices.
5. Maintain a Positive User Experience
Providing a positive user experience is vital for the success of your Google Business Profile. Focus on delivering high-quality products or services, promptly addressing customer concerns or complaints, and ensuring a smooth and satisfactory experience. By prioritizing customer satisfaction, you reduce the likelihood of negative reviews or reports that could lead to a suspension. A positive user experience also helps to build a strong reputation and gain trust from potential customers.
By following these expert tips, you can reduce the risk of Google Business Profile suspension and maintain a compliant and trustworthy online presence for your business. Additionally, below are some other important tips that you need to be aware of to run your Google Business Profile smoothly and establish a strong search presence on Google.
- Take high-definition photos of your business: Uploading high-quality photos of your business helps to enhance your listing and provide users with a better understanding of your establishment.
- Make sure your address is at a permanent location: Google requires businesses to have a physical, permanent address. Virtual or temporary locations are not allowed. Ensure that your business address is accurate and up to date.
- Use a local phone number instead of a toll-free number: Using a local phone number instead of a toll-free number helps establish your business as a local entity. It adds credibility and authenticity to your listing.
- Keep up with White Hat SEO practices: White Hat SEO refers to ethical and legitimate practices to improve your website’s visibility in search engine results. Following these practices will help your Google Business profile listing rank better and avoid any penalties from Google.
- Remove users who don’t require profile access: Regularly review the access privileges granted to users for your Google Business profile account. Remove any unnecessary users who no longer require access to avoid potential misuse or accidental changes.
- Exactly follow content and conduct guidelines as laid down by Google: It is crucial to follow Google’s content and conduct guidelines when managing your Google Business profile account. This includes avoiding spammy or fraudulent behavior, adhering to review policies, and maintaining a professional and respectful online presence.
Remember, maintaining a strong Google Business Profile is not only crucial for attracting customers online but also for establishing credibility and visibility in today’s digital landscape. With the increasing reliance on online search and local business listings, your Google Business Profile serves as a virtual storefront for potential customers. By implementing the expert tips provided mentioned above, you can enhance your profile’s trustworthiness, improve search rankings, and increase customer engagement. Still, have questions or looking for exceptional local SEO services? Contact Digital Success today and unlock the power of our proven strategies to enhance your Google Business Profile and skyrocket your online presence.
Capture 5X Traffic & 10X Rankings*, within 90 Days from DS© Proven Power SEO Strategy!
Contact us to get a free SEO/PPC audit and discuss how you can outrank your competition within the first 3 months.
Google Business Profile Suspension FAQs
1. How do I Fix a Suspended Google Business Profile?
Here are some steps you can take to fix your Google Business suspension:
1. Review the suspension notice and identify the violation mentioned in the suspension notice and take appropriate action to rectify it.
2. Ensure that all the information on your Google Business Page is accurate and up to date.
3. Remove any content that violates Google’s guidelines, such as spammy or fraudulent reviews, inappropriate images, or misleading information.
4. Contact Google to determine why you were suspended by submitting the local business reinstatement request form.
5. Ensure your business name matches your signage.
It’s important to note that the resolution process may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your suspension.
2. How do I Reinstate a Suspended Google Business Page?
To reinstate a suspended Google Business profile page, you can follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your Google Business profile account.
2. Click on the “Reinstate” button.
3. Fill out the reinstatement request form.
4. Wait for Google to review your request and respond.
3. How long does Reinstatement take?
The time it takes for Google to reinstate your Google Business profile page can vary depending on how busy Google is and the complexity of your case. However, Google reviews, investigate, and clear up most requests within 2 weeks.
4. Why does Google keep Suspending My Business Account?
Google may keep suspending your business account due to violations of their guidelines and policies, such as engaging in spammy or fraudulent behavior, providing inaccurate information, maintaining multiple listings or duplicate accounts, suspicious account activity, poor user experience, or failing to resolve previous suspensions. It is essential to adhere to Google’s guidelines, address any violations promptly, and consistently improve your online practices to prevent recurring suspensions.
5. Why was the Google Business Profile Suspended due to Quality Issues?
Google Business profile can be suspended due to quality issues if there are violations of Google’s guidelines related to the accuracy, relevance, and legitimacy of the business information. This could include providing misleading or false information, using prohibited content or keywords, creating multiple listings for the same business, or engaging in spammy or fraudulent practices. Ensuring compliance with Google’s quality guidelines and promptly addressing any violations can help prevent suspension due to quality issues.
6. Why is Google making me Verify My Business Again?
Google may require re-verification of your business for various reasons, including changes in business information (such as address or ownership) to ensure accuracy, verification expiration to keep your listing up to date, suspicion of unauthorized access for security purposes, and compliance with policies to ensure adherence to Google’s guidelines. By requesting re-verification, Google aims to maintain accurate, legitimate, and secure business listings. Promptly following the verification process helps maintain an active and verified presence for your business on Google.