Over the years, the entire world has started shifting to online shopping; it has changed the market in plenty of ways. How businesses market their...
You may be trying your hands with a new Adwords account or may have given this task to an agency to manage, you may find it intriguing why the first weeks are so bumpy. Google Adwords is the fastest and sure shot way to start getting traffic from Google especially on the keywords which are relevant to your business. However Adwords may not be as ‘plug-n-play’ for the new accounts as you think. There is more than what meets the eye. It is much more than setting up an account, plugging in your keywords, writing some random adcopies and defining max bid. You will soon be hit by various challenges in your face; right after launching your Adwords campaign.
Let’s learn what to expect in first 30 days. These observations have been compiled from experiences of various PPC experts who have managed host of accounts in last few years.
- Google’s approach to New Accounts – Google is watchful with new accounts and it does not expose them fully until a week or 2 have passed and some history has been earned. And this might be owing to Google’s vested interest of ensuring earnings from already running ads with history. Even if you give higher daily budgets, you may not see the desired traction due to the same reason and poor quality score.
- Impressions/CTR – Our observation is, Google may not make too many impressions available for some accounts initially. Google wants newbies to prove their worth gradually to earn visibility share, before it starts giving them share from its cash giving advertisers. However there could be more reasons to it. Read on.
- Keywords – In absence of no history, it’s wise to incorporate as many keywords as possible. It’s only after few days of run you discover that some of the keywords are fetching too much traffic but not yielding ROI for you. You can make a decision on keywords choice after you have already burnt some dollars and accumulated substantial stats.
- How much CPC is good CPC? On a safer side, you start slow and keep the CPC moderate, but as you realize your bids are not high enough to stay on the first page of results, you keep raising them few notches up every day. It’s only after 30-45 days, you have critical mass to make inferences on the CPC and desired ad positions. You may not know until you have substantial data to support your most suitable cost per click and best position to hang in.
- Match Types– Each keyword can be set up in 3-4 match types and only after accruing impressions and clicks and running search query report, you can make a judgment call on which match type should be left in or left out.
- Negative Keywords– Though finding negative keywords is an ongoing practice, but maximum burn out happens initially when there is not much information available on negative keywords. While traditional keywords trigger your ads to display for relevant searches, negative keywords prevent your ads from being triggered. Negative keywords are those phrases or words which after blending with your regular keywords, change the context or turn into keywords which are not relevant to your business.
- Adcopy Testing– Initial few days you can’t make a choice between your performing and non performing adcopies as you have to allow them to accrue enough stats. After seeing the overall CTR of the campaign, one has to take an informed decision about tweaking adcopies to make CTR better. Taking cues from competitors’ ads also help in making a killer adcopy.
- Time of week/day – Initially you don’t know which time of the week or which part of the day would be best for conversions, so you wait to build stats around it and accordingly enable day parting settings in your account.
- Budget and aggressive Bidding– If budget is limited( which is mostly the case) and there is a constant push from Google to go aggressive with bidding to sustain the first page, you end up burning a lot of budget too fast which can make you run short of budget for the rest of the month.
Hope this information will set you expectations right about a new Adwords account. For any queries, please leave the comment.
We've optimized 5000+ websites and managed a combined Ads Budget of over 50M
Get in touch to know how we can help your business grow. Get a Free Website Audit in the process
"We are grateful for the guidance we received from Digital Success Agency with our SEO efforts. Not only did they help increase traffic to our site, they also made suggestions for improvements so that we could enhance our content. Team was always helpful and quick with any requests or questions we had. We were very happy with this partnership."
"Digital Success Agency team does great work and provides great customer service. Their prices are very reasonable as well. I like the fact that I have a person dedicated to my account that I can turn with all my questions/issues."
"Things are looking good. The influence of the top ten looks great and it appears we were even in terms of overall traffic from November to December aside from lower PPC numbers which is what we are attempting to do. Nice work. I am excited to see how things shake out when our busy season starts to really take off. Thanks again to you and the team."
"It was a pleasure working with Digital Success Agency team. I wanted to make sure I thanked you for all your hard work, and such speedy communication and clear updates. Again it was great to have you as part of our team."
"We appreciate the help you all have provided with our website and SEO efforts. And though you and I had just started working together, I personally have been very impressed with your thoroughness and quick communication."
"The Digital Success Agency team is knowledgeable and hard working; just what we need from a strategic partner as we look to grow our business. I would recommend them for your SEO and PPC needs without hesitation. Four years ago we made that decision and it's paid off nicely!"
"Having Digital Success Agency as our SEO partner has allowed our agency to concentrate on what we do best. Developing full creative campaigns are what we excel at as a group. Incorporating Digital Success Agency SEO plans and developing web tools to support the creative that we develop provides support for all our client initiatives. As an agency I would recommend engaging Digital Success Agency in web projects of all levels."
"Having worked with Digital Success Agency since 2006, it has always been a great experience working with all the folks over there. They are extremely qualified, and have always demonstrated an incredible level of enthusiasm and professionalism when working with me. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to expand in-house capabilities, or is looking to bring on outside resources."
"You have been by far the best outside resources I've worked with for SEO and it's reflected in the clients you managed - all grew their traffic, keyword rankings, and leads under you. You've been a big help for me over the last few years and I really appreciate it. "
Google has been quite active in August – announcing one of their biggest updates in over a decade – The ‘Helpful Content Update’, along with...
We live in a day and age where traditional marketing methods don’t work as effectively, even for localized businesses like construction companies. Convenience is driving...
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It is a strategy that helps you rank your website or the content higher on search engines. If you...
Are You Aware of these 10 (un)Popular SEO and Digital Marketing Scams & Steps to Safeguard Yourself?
Let’s go by the statistics first! Almost 70% of businesses are offered search engine optimization services, if not more, once every week. Yes, that’s how...